8 July 2018
A dangerous rescue mission to free 12 schoolboys and their soccer coach trapped inside a Thai cave for two weeks began on Sunday (July 8), authorities said. The first survivor is possibly to emerge 11 hours later. Thirteen foreign divers and five members of Thailand's elite navy SEAL unit would attempt to bring the boys. The boys, aged between 11 and 16, went missing with their 25-year-old coach after soccer practice on June 23, setting out to explore the cave complex. The arduous rescue operation claimed the life of a former Thai navy diver earlier this week. Head of the rescue mission said the first boys could emerge from the cave at around 9 pm local time (1400 GMT).